Sunday, December 8, 2013

Relationship Dynamic: Do Better, Get Your Own!

Last week's article elicited several off the line comments and discussions and gave birth to new topics of concern about marriage. Today, I will address the second topic in the relationship dynamic series: dating someone else's spouse. 

Now, I don't know about the rest of you but I normally don't even share my food let alone my man. At a very tender age, I was exposed to the idea of women knowingly and fearlessly dating another woman's husband. The excuse I used to hear when I was 10-13 years old was, : "oh I didn't know he/she was married". However, it has now become common place to the point where a man will approach an obviously pregnant woman, regardless of whether or not she has a ring. We continuously see both men and women attempting to seduce a married person in the presence of their spouse. 

 The list of scenarios goes on and on...  

As I thought about this topic, I was more curious as to why someone would partially partake of the true essence of love, or rather trade it for temporary lust. Sometimes people believe the men were unhappy and the real wives were simply horrific. They find reasons to excuse the cheaters' actions. The truth of the matter is, that it is a self-esteem issue once again. Choosing to be the "other woman" or "other man" portrays the message that you are willing to settle for less as you temporarily rent space in their heart if that. If that person is so miserable in their relationship, they should just walk away, instead of playing around causing casualties to children and  loved ones. The promise that they will leave the spouse for you, is just a tactic. However, I have sadly seen the promise be fulfilled in which case, you must know that the process will only repeat itself. 
I am not writing this topic to demean those who are, or were "the other woman/man". 

I am rather writing to encourage them to raise the bar, stand for morality, expect their own, and know that they deserve better than what they settled for. Complete commitment is more fulfilling than being a bystander,  who envies his real family at a distance, spends holidays alone, and sneaks around  just to enjoy a brief moment with that person. 

I encourage you all to love yourselves and expect more, because you are worth it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment