Saturday, October 5, 2013

Plan A or Plan B?


Photo by Jey.Ahr.Photos
In the previous post, it was established that it is very important to acquire enough strength to make your own choices. So assuming we are now able to make our own choices, how do we differentiate a good decision from a bad one?
Even though not all the decisions I have made produced good outcomes, I learned overtime that every choice contributed to the building of the foundation of who I am today. Aldous Huxley once said “experience is not what happens to a man, but it is what a man does with what happens to him” I believe that sometimes things do happen that we cannot control. However, our reaction to that “thing” has more impact than what actually happens.
I am a known risk-taker, and I don’t mean going on roller-coasters or driving 90 miles per hour, rather my choices are usually out of the “norm”. Today, I will tell you about just 3 of the decisions that significantly impacted my life.
1.      I resigned from 5 full-time salaried positions within the past 5 years. Of course I was considered crazy each time, but when I saw a copy of my current position’s requirement, it entailed everything I had learned throughout the 5 previous positions.

2.       Choosing to attend BYU was “the road not taken”, even people who had never been to Utah told me why I should not attend BYU. Lesson learned: If I had to do college all over again I will once again choose BYU. Absolutely no regrets.

3.      My decision to marry my husband after two months of dating was definitely discouraged, but I must say our journey has been the best 15 months of my life so far.

I wish I can provide you with formulas that will detect good choices from bad ones, but in reality there are none. You just need to rely on your logic, your instinct (the Holy Ghost for some), and the knowledge you have. So good or bad remains subjective, as it pertains to your purpose in this life.

No comments:

Post a Comment